words with zest

The newly established Australian Poetry Centre currently has an e-mag blog, called zest, which is publishing news and features on poetry. It is a sign of the changes that are happening.

One of the features is a short piece by me responding to some well-known words by Ezra Pound. I had to do this article quickly so it recycles some other things I've written, and develops some thoughts I've been working on for a while, about the poem on the page, about how the line works. I have been influenced by reading Rosemary Huisman's book, The Written Poem: Semiotic Conventions from Old to Modern English (Cassell, 1998), which is well worth your time. There is much to quote in her book: "The interrelating of sound pattern and visual line is so well established that modern poetry, even when without traditional metrical regularity or rhyme scheme, may encourage us to read in a certain way according to the line breaks."

Comments

genevieve said…
Good to hear about the zest blog, thanks Jill. I'll go read your article now.

Popular Posts

vale Jackson Mac Low 1922-2004

Questions, but no answers: while editing a manuscript

here and now